Friday, February 22, 2013

I Pass the Test

Today, society relies less and less on its own critical thinking skills, and have turned to a life where the answer is right in front of you them. I remember learning how to use my context clues to figure out an answer to a problem, but now a majority of high school and college students, at least some I work with, cannot put two and two together. Can we blame them? Who is responsible? This people are not dumb people, I have seen them use their brains to make connections; However I have watch them make a simple mistake, one would only assume be common sense. When I was growing up I remember doing puzzles with my dad, maybe because television wasn't like it is now, ,maybe that is when I developed my ability to form connections. I do not want to make myself sound too alienated from the youth of today; I graduated in within the past five years. With that being said, I feel like I witnessed the destruction of the educational system in Texas first hand. Not to say it was perfect nothing ever is, but I felt like I learned more when standardized testing was not involved in the curriculum. I understand the need for a form of assessing students’ grades, in order to see how they are developing and learning, but it should not come at the expense of students and teachers. This will only weaken our society and economy in the future because our workforce will not be properly trained. A good education leads to a better life. So why are we robbing our future generations of this incredible ability to use one's head? One could assume that the less amount and less difficult the tests are, could make it easier for a student to pass the assessment. The higher test scores the more money from the government, along with teaching abstinence. Wanting our students to do well is a good goal, but rigging the system to make it look like you do your job is only crippling these kids. Maybe one solution to fixing this increasingly unstable problem is to reset the state's testing system. This issue was briefly discussed early this month in the Austin Statesman and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, after the Senate Bill 135 passed, killing the fifteen percent rule. The "Bill is a step back from rigorous public schools in Texas." When I went to high school we had the "four-by-four" curriculum, meaning four English, four math, four science, and four social studies, but the new bill only calls for four English, three math and social studies, and two sciences. Why these cuts in fundamental courses? I even took five years of math, because I started in middle school. These articles shine light on the topic of standardized tests and target the parents of students in these communities. We need to revisit the educational system and find a solution that better enhances our society. 

No comments: